Monday, May 20, 2019

Kitchen for 10- with less dishes than ever

We have never gotten a dishwasher to work well enough to make it worth the noise and smell.
Or the fact you have to wash dishes before you wash the dishes. So we got rid of it.
We also decided to do shelving rather than cupboards when we built our house. So nothing hides and nothing can get gooey without being seen.

Everything is seen. This helps me not to collect things I already have, sitting just out of sight behind some pretty wooden doors.

But it didn't solve the washing dishes problem. In a single day, we can easily use enough dishes to fill 3 sinks.  And every time I get a pretty dish set, things break until we are out of enough to set a table.

I got tired of sweeping up broken dishes. Then Target got this 99cent per dish thing. Plastic-like, solid blue (matched my kitchen), dishwasher and microwave safe and with nice smooth edges and large enough bowls to eat a serious bowl of chili. So far they have held up a year, and Target still has them in stock- not that I've needed to buy any more.

Right now, we limited the dishes we have out to 1 set per person. Every person has 1 plate, bowl, and cup. We have extra we can bring out for guests. But it limits the number of dishes in the sink at any one time.

One of the nice things about the open wire shelving I have in the kitchen is the automatic over the sink dish racks I can stack my freshly washed dishes on, and leave them there.

Also, I always am looking at the tools in my kitchen. Are they really being used enough to justify having them there? Or are they just clutter?

And If I have tools I actually value in that kitchen (which should be all of them, or else they are given away). I will wash them immediately and get them ready to use again. That way they don't rust in the sink waiting for one of my kids to do the dishes, and they are ready to use when I want to use them.

No comments: