Friday, May 17, 2019

Origins of personal minimalism

One day, while picking up the living room, I realized if I threw away that ripped up paper (recycled), or a broken toy, I would never have to pick it up again.

A new day dawned in my sanity and I have been fighting it ever since.

Now, whenever I find something where it doesn't belong and my life would not miss it- it is gone.

Gone, sweet gone!

It keeps me from drowning in stuff.

Next came Marie- I went through pieces of my house- 1 little section at a time and removed anything that didn't spark joy, (dusted with a wet rag too) or that I wouldn't have to go out right out and repurchase. And little by little things got more organized.

I learned to thank things before giving them away or saying goodbye (even my poor old dog, got thanked as he was slipping out of this world). It makes it easier and turns any negative thoughts into gratitude.

Now, I am not the esthetic minimalist. Everything is out and visible. We have kitchen selves instead of cupboards and purposely build the house with little storage space. So I can not stick things away without seeing them. The whole intent was to keep it easier to see how much we had so we would have to think twice about buying/keeping/storing things.

There are many sections of stuff, I have gone through several times, and will still go back and reduce.

The reducing of stuff begin with a way for me to cope with living in a busy house with 10 people and being a master's student. Now it has allowed me to clearly see stuff as tools, and like tools, they do no good if you can not find them or if they are not in working condition or if you have more then you need, It has helped me become non-attached to stuff.

I have become more attached to experiences, people and memories. And I am grateful for google docs, and pics and blogger to store much of those memories for me.

No comments: